Recommended Gear List:
1. Eye/ ear protection
2. AR-15 or AR-10 rifle with your choice of sight system: scope, red dot, iron sights. We want to make you the best you can be with your equipment.
3. 200 rounds of practice ammunition, 100 rounds of your hunting or match grade ammo (preferably all the same lot#).
4. Shooting mat/ ground pad (I will also have plenty available to loan).
5. Bipod or a front rest such as your pack. For bipods, I recommend one that can adjust to cant (leg notched and/ or swivel). Harris SBRM (6-9”) or SLM (9-14”) or an Atlas Bipod is ideal.
6. Some sort of rear support: sand sock, rear bag, etc.
7. Full gun cleaning kit with any special tools for your weapon system
8. Sling and a small backpack (or your hunting setup) to carry all your shooting equipment. We will take a short hike (600-800 yds) with all the gear during a wind demonstration.
9. Food/ Water
10. Boots and clothing for the weather. You will need gloves as well. Mechanix gloves or the equivalent work well. Just don’t use anything with hard knuckles.
11. Knee pads (optional, but the terrain is very rocky. Knee pads are highly recommended!)
12. Chair (optional)
13. Spotting scope/ tripod (optional, but highly recommended if you have one)
14. We provide a notebook, but you are welcome to bring additional note taking material or even film/ photograph with your phone. A calculator is also recommended. Your smartphone is acceptable.
15. Any other item you wish to test, evaluate, or work under realistic conditions. Ballistic apps/ calculators, Laser Range Finders (LRFs), binoculars, incline measuring tools, and Kestrels fall into this category. Not required to pass the course, but the course is a great place to practice with them (or to see their limitations in some cases).
**If you have any questions regarding your setup or what to bring, please email me. We can head off many potential issues before they sideline your shooting. As with all our courses, gear consideration is a central portion of the curriculum. We want you to buy what you need and what works, not what the media hype tells you to buy!**
Venue location will be in Burnet, TX. Driving time is approximately 45 minutes from Cedar Park. Directions are here.